The Seneca Rocks Discovery Center, in cooperation with Eastern National Forests Interpretive Association, is pleased to announce the fall programming schedule. The center is open from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.Thursday through Monday and closed Tuesday and Wednesday. All programs meet at the Discovery Center until otherwise noted.
- Junior Ranger Station — Stop in between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. for a variety of programs for children.
- The Sites Homestead — Open daily for tours from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturdays and Sundays:
- Beginner Birding Hike — 10 a.m., discover the basics of birding as a person goes for a morning stroll. Binoculars provided.
- Discover the Forest Guided Hikes — 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Get better acquainted with the national forest while hiking along the 3/4-mile Watershed Discovery Loop.
- Ranger Talks — 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Dig deeper into the history and science behind the scenery at the Discovery Center.
- Artisan Exhibits — Visitors may purchase handmade originals and watch visiting artisans demonstrate their craft. For a complete schedule of artisans, or to become a visiting artisan yourself, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sept. 30 — Military History Weekend. Learn about the military history of the area from the Revolutionary War and World War II to today. A display of original uniforms will be featured from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Sites Homestead.
Oct. 7 — Local Author Reading. Listen to selections from David Umling’s fiction and non-fiction works from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Sites Homestead.
Oct. 21 — Rock-tober. Enjoy rock games, rock crafts and rock talks at our celebration of all things geology. Enjoy a special evening program at 7:30 p.m. with Dr. Joseph Lebold, one of the authors of “Roadside Geology of West Virginia.”
Oct. 28 — Bat Carnival and Farewell Party. Try one’s luck at the bat-themed games in honor of International Bat Week. At the Sites Homestead, visit with costumed interpreter, Cathy Milton, as she brings the story of Dorothy Sites to a close with her “Farewell Party.”
Seneca Rocks Discovery Center and Sites Homestead will close for the season at the end of the day on Oct. 29. All programs are subject to cancellation or change. For more information call 304-567-2827 or email email@example.com.