10 Years Ago
Week of August 8, 2013
Real Folk Music
Belongs to All the People
Music has been around these hills since they were first inhabited. The early settlers brought with them the traditional music which has been passed on orally and performed by custom over the centuries. Traditional folk music is thought of as the music that is transmitted by mouth, among the lower classes, and written by unknown composers.
The Appalachian music was brought by immigrants from England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland. The colonial music had both written and oral types, often the various songs were known by ear and much altered from the original. One cannot obtain a copyright for a real folk song, for it belongs to all of the people. Singing was part of the daily lives of the people, and they sang as they went about their work. The women sang as they worked at the loom, spinning wheel, or the household chores. The men sang as they fed the stock, sharpened the axe, or as they sat around the fireplace. Sometimes on the long winter evenings, the children were entertained by stories told by their parents and grandparents and entertained by songs. There were songs to express all sorts of feelings. Singing made everyone feel good, as if it were “food for the soul.”
Experts usually divide the Appalachian music into two periods—the first period ran from the early 1700s–1900 with the second period about 1900–1930.
The most popular early instrument was the violin or fiddle. Essentially, the two instruments differ only in the type of music played. The banjo was the main instrument of the Appalachian music. It had been brought to America by African slaves in the 1700s and by Civil War time, was found throughout the region.
During the Colonial period, the established church discouraged any form of music that was not sacred. Therefore, more of the Appalachian music was of a religious nature. This sacred music existed in three types: spiritual songs, hymns and ballads, and they were used mainly during revivals. Many of the older people would hear the religious songs in church, but could not read them. Thus many of the old hymns were passed from one singer to another, and became real folk songs.
20 Years Ago
Week of August 14, 2003
Sugar Grove has made the news this past weekend. Where Sugar Grove now stands was once a large grove of sugar maple trees, which is how the friendly village gained its name. The first resident family was that of Pickle who arrived around 1775. The larger percent of pioneers who moved here several years later were of German descent, migrating from Pennsylvania. A form of Pennsylvania Dutch was the language spoken in and around Sugar Grove at that time.
South of Sugar Grove is a community known as Crummetts Run. Up to five inches of rain had fallen prior to the four and one-half inches it received over a twenty-minute period. This cloud burst caused flash flood devastation similar to that of the 1949 and 1985 floods. Road wash-out, and power and telephone outage closed the thoroughfare until emergency crews could assist. The William Bowers trout ponds suffered major damage following flood spillage as a result of a swept away bridge. The residents are reeling from the effect; however, as time marches on, their resilience and hard work will shine through. They certainly appreciate the dedication of emergency assistance.
30 Years Ago
Week of August 19, 1993
To Mark 100 Years
The High Rock United Methodist Church located in Union district approximately five miles southeast of Seneca Rocks on Route 9 near the junction of Harper Gap and Harman Hills roads is preparing to celebrate 100 years of fellowship.
A Lone Tree
In a Large Field, What Purpose Does it Serve?
Many large farm fields have a single tree growing in the middle. Ever wonder why? Perhaps it was left there to provide shade for the tired workhorses. Or maybe the tree was intended to keep lightning from striking something or someone else in the area. Lightning tends to be drawn to tall trees and thus it would keep it from striking something else. Then too, when farmers were clearing their fields to allow more room to plant corn, a block and tackle was attached to the nearest tree to get leverage for the stump puller. This process would be repeated over and over until one tree was left standing. Also perhaps, since fences were eventually taken down when farmers quit raising livestock and switched over to solely raising grain, the lone tree marked the edge of properties. If only that lone tree could talk, what tales it could tell! So enjoy the beauty of the lone tree as it prepares us all for the shows of the four seasons. And on these hot, sultry days, take time to feel the cool breeze while relaxing under the lonely tree.
40 Years Ago
Week of August 18, 1983
Do You Remember
Richard ‘Rich’ Dolly, star athlete and FBI Agent, while in his mid-forties, died of a heart attack at his home while mowing the yard, May 30, 1959.
RICH WAS FRANKLIN HIGH FOOTBALL STAR
By the Panther
“Give me roses while I live.”
We hope our hero of this story got carloads. A gentle giant and honor student off the field — our Panther standing six feet, four inches, weighing 250 pounds, became a Goliath among men when on the gridiron.
“The Sheepherder of Pendleton County,” as he was called by big city sports writers, graduated from Franklin High School in 1934 where he played under Coach Burl Fisher, now a doctor in Augusta, Ga. Then on to West Virginia University where as an offensive and defensive end, he led the Mountaineers to their first bowl game. Playing in the Sun Bowl at El Paso, Texas, our “Free Stater” blocked the extra point which won the game for WVU, 7-6.
Next move was to the Pittsburgh Steelers who outbid the Philadelphia Eagles for his services. Playing regularly for the Steelers for two seasons, a wrench thrown into the bog by one Adolph Hitler took our hero into World War II. After this conflict, he returned to the Steelers, where he again played for three years. Finally he was appointed as a special agent for the FBI.
Now, in his mid-forties, on May 30, 1959, something no Panther, Mountaineer or Steeler opponent could do was accomplished by the “Grim Reaper” who took him for the final countdown.
Our current Panther squad and all Free Staters salute you, Richard “Dick” Dolly. Our current Panther squad and all Free Staters salute you, Richard “Dick” Dolly.
Submitted by Basagic Funeral Home, Franklin, West Virginia.
60 Years Ago
Week of August 22, 1963
100 YEARS AGO
By LON K. SAVAGE
Editor’s Note—The following is one of a series of articles on the Civil War. Each weekly installment covers events which occurred exactly 100 years ago.
Ft. Sumter Wrecked
By Federal Shelling
Historic Fort Sumter in the harbor of Charleston, S. C., the scene of the first battle of the Civil War, was nearly destroyed by Federal gunfire 100 years ago this week.
From August 17 to 23, Federal shells rained on the five-sided fortress in one of the Civil War’s heaviest bombardments. It was an all-out Federal effort to liquidate the fort and, in so doing, to clear the way for the surrender of Charleston, itself. But despite the tons of shells that fell, the week ended with the fort—or what was left of it—still in Confederate hands and Charleston in little danger of falling into Federal hands.
Sumter was bombarded under the direction of Maj. Gen. Quincy Gillmore, one of the top engineering officers in the federal army. It was anything but new. Since April, Federal warships had hammered at the fortress. On July 10, Gillmore had landed troops on Morris Island, just south of Charleston’s harbor, and on the 11th and 18th, he had launched two attacks on Fort Wagner, a Confederate stronghold on the northern end of the island, which protected Sumter. Both attacks failed with heavy Union losses.
So Gillmore changed his tactics. He brought up 18 big, rifled guns to the south end of Morris Island, and before daylight on the 17th, the first gun boomed out, its shell reaching across two miles of land and sea toward the fort. By the 19th, all 18 guns were in action.
Day after day, the shells dropped on Sumter. Gillmore reported 450 a day hit the fort, and the Confederates figured even more. Masses of brick and parapet crumbled off Sumter’s walls. By the 23rd, the fort’s offensive powers had been nearly demolished. Gen. P. G. T. Beauregard, Confederate commander at Charleston, described the historic stronghold as “a confused mass of crumbling debris.” Between 3,000 and 6,000 projectiles had hit the fort in the eight-day period.
Inside the fort, the Confederates stuck to their guns as long as they had them. The danger of a Federal shell exploding in the fort’s powder magazine—blowing them all to kingdom come—was realized, but they held on.
Among the Federal guns in the bombardment was the “Swamp Angel,” an eight-inch 200-pounder Parrot rifle gun mounted in a marsh battery.
On the morning of August 21, Gillmore demanded that Beauregard immediately evacuate Morris Island and Fort Sumter or he would open fire on the city. That night, the “Swamp Angel,” its barrel elevated to 31 degrees and aimed “just to the left of St. Michael’s Church in Charleston,” boomed out, and ringing bells told the Federal artillerymen their shell had fallen in the city.
Beauregard protested vigorously against the “firing into a city filled with sleeping women and children” but next day, the “Swamp Angel” opened fire again.
On the 36th shot into the city, the “Swamp Angel” blew out the jacket to its breech and fell silent. Charleston was safe. The cannon disappeared from the history books, to emerge after the war as a monument in Trenton, N. J.
Next week: Federals Cross River.
Camping Area Completed
At Spruce Knob Lake
District Ranger C. R. Carr of Petersburg has announced the completion of a new and modern overnight camping area at Spruce Knob Lake, which is now open for public use.
When the lake was developed and opened in June 1953, a twenty-unit camping site was developed jointly by the U. S. Forest Service and the Conservation Commission of West Virginia, financing the project with funds from the sale of National Forest fishing stamps. The initial camping area provided modest accommodations including pit toilets, fire grates and a camp well.
70 Years Ago
Week of August 20, 1953
The official list of American war prisoners freed on August 12th in Korea by Communists contained the name of a former Pendleton County soldier.
Released was Cpl. Paul T. Sites, son of James M. and Mary Katherine Sites, formerly of Kline, who have moved to Gainesboro, Va.
Cpl. Sites was reportedly captured in June, 1951, while serving with the Second Infantry Division. Six months later the Reds notified United Nations forces he was being held in Chiang-Song Prison Camp.
After enlisting July 27, 1949, Cpl. Sites received basic training at Fort Knox, Ky., and advanced instructions at Fort Bragg, N. C., before going overseas with the 23rd Infanty Regiment.
Many people have been asking the question: “Now that we have acquired two more doctors, how good are our chances of getting a clinic in Pendleton county?” There is little doubt about the need of such an institution.
There are two clinics in Petersburg. The 1950 census gave Pendleton county a population of 557 greater than Grant. It would certainly seem that if Grant can have two clinics, the people of Pendleton could support one.
The problems involved in building such an institution are, of course, manifold and profound. It would take long-range planning to establish a good clinic—competently staffed and sufficiently equipped.
The Times will be happy to print the views of our four doctors on this subject. They understand the problems and possibilities of such a project. We, therefore, make an appeal to Dr. Reynolds, Dr. Sites, Dr. Rexrode and Dr. Maxwell to submit to us their ideas on this subject for publication.