The West Virginia Division of Highways reminds motorists of safety tips while sharing the road with plow trucks.
- Slow down when following a snowplow.
- Don’t follow too closely. If a person can’t see the snowplow’s mirrors, the driver can’t see one.
- If a snowplow is spreading material, keep well back. Bouncing salt or other ice control material can damage a vehicle.
- If a person passes a snowplow, make sure the driver can see one. If a plow is approaching from the other direction, move as far to the right as is safe.
- In snow and ice, stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary. If a person has to drive, leave early, drive slowly, and keep the headlights on at all times.
For the latest updates and information on travel conditions throughout West Virginia, visit wv.511.org.